SIGN-IN  /  REGISTER    MY ORDER (0)      ENGLISH  
BLOGS
BOARDS
FACTORY  &  SHOP
Boards

Boards Pier Solar Gameplay Discussion
This game is beyond tedious.
23/04/2015 - 04:34
I don't want to sound like I'm trolling or in any way trying to be antagonistic but I've been trying and failing to appreciate this game no matter how hard I try. Even iapproaching it in the context of what it is and what it tries to be doesn't change the fact that the Meho Rocks and Pine Forest are horrible. Two enemy formations, pretty much guaranteed ambush rate, attacks that target the entire party, no way to rest, and if you dropped all your money on healing items (am I supposed to count getting back a whopping 5 MP per round), now you need a shovel that is stupid expensive.

I put a lot of time into it and was excited, but once you get to Meho the game just dies. It doesn't want you to get through it, and I certainly don't have the patience. I respect the hard work that went into this project, and it wouldn't be the first time I took a chance on a game. But you can chalk up the flaws of a game like Phantasy Star II to time and a lack of a reference point for JRPGs. Even taking into account that Pier Solar was made in that style, its tediousness comes down to pure design. Ah well.

Again, not trying to sound antagonistic, and I respect how difficult an undertaking this project must have been.
23/04/2015 - 05:26
Yeah Meho was where stuff turned sour for me too. I'm currently at
the big town looking for some train guy or something
and the Meho area was the worst part for me so far.
How did things go in the dust bowl area? Or did you not reach that place yet?

So yeah you're not alone. I was lost in that godforsaken jungle for hours.

Dunno how well criticism of Pier Solar is going to go over here though.
23/04/2015 - 14:32
I don't think anyone here minds as long as its genuine constructive criticism rather than nitpicked ramblings.
To be this good takes NOLEMRETAW.. Eh.. Close enough..
23/04/2015 - 16:37
That's good to know. I'd be the first to admit that I've liked games which may have been flawed, I don't mean to try and speak for others.
23/04/2015 - 17:42
Actually, to me this sounds like a pretty typical problem in old-school type games. I've run into plenty of things midway into other games that I wasn't prepared for and seemed way too tough. (Diablo II's Duriel, anyone?) Anyway, does grinding earlier in the game not help any?
Three hidden keys open three secret gates...
23/04/2015 - 18:43
Eh, it's one thing to acknowledge a game is frustrating or outdated in retrospect, but at the same time I can go back and play an old RPG and appreciate it for what it is, flaws and all. A game like Phantasy Star II can be quite tedious. Lots of old games were flawed because they were breaking new ground and there was no consensus on how to streamline games.

Pier Solar's problem isn't that it's tedious like other old school RPGs might be. I expect and embrace that. The problem comes strictly to design choices. Battles aren't random when you encounter the same formation, 9/10 times in an ambush, and they use the exact same attacks on the same characters. I had the same battle over and over for 40 minutes, at a part of the game where it's simply infeasible to backtrack or grind. Just because you design something in the context of a retro game doesn't mean you can't learn from other people's mistakes. The best RPGs from that era all expanded on one concept or another.

Case in point, clearing this section became a matter of luck and resetting. I was down to almost zero healing items, was around level 11, and just had to push through, running from everything and hoping for ideal battles that weren't ambushes. All in all I can finally rest but we're talking well over an hour and a half since I last could.
23/04/2015 - 18:49
What old-school JRPG was this game based off of? Because I really don't remember having similar issues in games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, SMRPG, Phantasy Star IV, Lunar the silver Star etc.

-Slow combat
-Healing outside of battle
-Overly complex areas
-Navigation problems (You have no idea where to go next)
23/04/2015 - 19:05
Well I can definitely see Earthbound and Phantasy Star II being influences. To be fair there were a lot of times where I sort of screwed myself on Earthbound and there are definitely maze like parts. Don't get me started on PSII, with no map it's incredibly frustrating.l getting through those dungeons, and that's why a guide was included.

But yeah, Pier Solar kind of ignores what those games did right or their sequels corrected. Bottom line though, games like Earthbound, FF6, Chrono Trigger, PSIV, encourage you to keep playing.

I'm not blaming anyone, I think this highlights just how big an undertaking even the most generic RPGs were. I would have thought some of the problems would be self evident to RPG fans but I also can sympathize with the artistic process. Sometimes you're harder on your work than other people are and sometimes it takes other people to be objective about it.
23/04/2015 - 19:28
Yeah I can see Phantasy Star 2 for sure. But I don't know why you would base something off of PS2 when there's PS4 which is overall a much less annoying, faster-paced, and more enjoyable experience.

It's almost as if this game took some influence from Star Odyssey/Blue Almanac.
23/04/2015 - 20:03
 What old-school JRPG was this game based off of? 

I wasn't saying that it was based on anything specifically, just that it apparently has those influences. And yeah, a lot of them have some pretty irritating spots where you're forced to do things like rethink strategy and the game never really sets you up for it. I remember in particular thinking that Taros in Shining Force II was really hard to beat. I barely made it through that part when I finally beat him, and that was after hours of trying.

But I can't really compare Pier Solar to other games yet, because I haven't played it yet. Just saying it sounds similar, and if so that's something I can tolerate. :)
Three hidden keys open three secret gates...
You may want to sign-in or register to reply to this message.

BLANK CONTENT

FRANÇAIS
ESPAÑOL
PORTUGUÊS
  DEUTSCH  
日本語
Filter: OFF
OPTIONS